Using Pivotal Response Treatment to Increase Verbal Language: A Parent Coaching Group
The START Program is a sought-after group program for parents/caregivers of young children with autism. Based on Pivotal Response Treatment (PRT), a therapy model developed by the Koegel Autism Centre in California, this innovative program teaches parents practical strategies to support their child in:
- Playing and having fun with others!
- Important communication skills like:
- asking for things
- answering questions
- making choices
- copying language
- Using a wider variety of words to meet their needs
The Centre for Autism Services Alberta is the only facility in Western Canada that offers this extraordinary coaching program!
- Designed specifically for early language development in children with autism, ages 2-8
- Program development based on 40 years of research
- Strategies designed to be implemented during daily routines
- All sessions are led by an experienced Speech-Language Pathologist with formal certification in PRT
- The Centre also accepts private referrals
- Parents will learn about autism, and how to connect and have fun with their child!
- 11 weeks of targeted coaching
- Parent group meetings on Zoom from 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm weekly
- Attend and participate in group sessions
- Parents receive one home visit mid-program (over Zoom)
- Taking and sharing home videos of PRT practice is required
- Each session will be a positive and interactive experience!
For more information and to apply to the START Program, contact Arianna at firstname.lastname@example.org.